Whenever we’d go to California, we’d often end up at a Dick’s Sporting Goods, one of the most popular sporting goods stores in the nation.
The year was 1948. Eighteen-year-old Dick Stack was an energetic salesman at a small Army and Navy store in Binghamton, New York. One day, the store owner asked Dick, an avid fisherman, if it would be a good idea to sell fishing gear in his shop. Dick offered to develop a plan.
After working tirelessly on a business plan over a succession of sleepless nights, Dick nervously approached the owner with his vision. The response was stinging. Dumbfounded, Dick was told that he didn’t know what he was doing and “would never make a good merchant.”
That evening, frustrated and dejected, Dick retreated to his grandmother’s home. She listened quietly as he recounted his story. When he had finished, she rose silently and went to the kitchen. Removing the lid from her cookie jar, she extracted $300 of her hard-earned savings and pressed the bills into Dick’s hand.“ Dick, always follow your dreams,” she advised.
With his grandmother’s $300, Dick opened a modest bait and tackle shop in Binghamton. By 1958, at the urging of his loyal customers, he expanded his product line to include much of what you’ll find at Dick’s Sporting Goods today.
Dick’s Sporting Goods offers a huge selection of items for all types of sports enthusiasts.
Whenever we’d go to Dick’s Sporting Goods, DH would look for golf items. Most of the time he’d literally just look (since he’d often look at drivers), but sometimes he did come out with some great golf shirts and other golf accessories.
If you’re on Twitter, Dick's Sporting Goods is currently giving away a $100 gift card each day for 50 days in a cool and easy Twitter promotion! Click here for the details.
No matter what sport you’re into--fishing, golf, skiing, BMX biking, football, archery…Dick’s Sporting Goods is the one stop shop for all things sports!
Shop: You can shop online at DicksSportingGoods.com, or to find a Dick’s Sporting Goods near you, click here.
Win: One lucky winner will receive a $100 Gift Card to Dick’s Sporting Goods!
***THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED***
Congratulations to GStix!
Congratulations to GStix!
- To enter, follow @dickssportcmo on Twitter AND leave a comment on this post with an answer to the question "What would you buy at Dick's with $100 and why? (be sure to leave your Twitter name in your comment)
- You’ll get one extra entry each if you do any of the following (be sure to leave a comment for each “entry”):
1)Blog about this giveaway and link back to Sage and Savvy and Dick’s Sporting Goods
2)Subscribe to my feed
3)Add my button to your sidebar
4)Follow me on Twitter (leave your Twitter name in your comment)
- The deadline for entries is August 31, 2009, 11:59pm HST.
- If you submitted an eligible entry and it is chosen by random.org as the winner, you will be notified via email on September 1, 2009 (make sure your email address is in your profile or comment) and will have 3 days to accept.
- Valid for US addresses only.
- By entering in this giveaway, you have read and agreed to Sage and Savvy’s policies regarding giveaways.
Thank you to Dick’s Sporting Goods for the giveaway product.
Gem is a Hawaii Mom Blogger who posts reviews and giveaways, and blogs about life in Hawaii as a mom of 3 boys, including one with an Autism Spectrum Disorder. She loves to travel, bake, and eat anything with chocolate.