Give Up The Ghost, Brandi Carlile’s third album, unveils her talents in their truest form. After 2 albums and non-stop touring, she has let her guard down and offers her most candid recording to date. If the phrase “give up the ghost” most often refers to death or dying, it can also be used to describe the passing of stages in life, of transformation.
“They say it takes you your whole life to write your first record, and in our case the first two records, and that you have to write your second record in just a matter of months. So we went into the songwriting process conscious of that, and really made an effort to just leave ourselves behind. We wrote about about life, the world, how we felt, how we will feel. In that sense, these songs are like time travelers in that they exist on a much more ethereal plane, and that’s what ‘give up the ghost’ means to us,” Carlile explains.
I had never heard of Brandi Carlile before, but after listening to Give Up the Ghost, I’ve grown to love her voice and her songwriting. Give Up the Ghost features songs with tinges of country, folk, and soul, that bring out both heartwarming and heartbreaking emotions.
My favorite song was If There Was No You, a love song that reminded me of how lucky I am to have DH in my life. I also really enjoyed Caroline, featuring Elton John. This was such a fun and upbeat song!
Looking Out was another really nice and uplifting song about love.
I also thought That Year was such a sweet song. After finding out it was inspired by a friend who committed suicide, whenever I’d listen to the song it would bring tears to my eyes, especially since I had two friends who committed suicide while I was in college.
Carlile has a very beautiful voice, and her songs, which are just as beautiful, will touch you, inspire you, and uplift you.
Shop: You can purchase Give up the Ghost on Amazon.com or at other retailers online and nationwide.
Win: One lucky winner will receive a digital download of Give Up the Ghost.
***THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED***
Congratulations to rebornbutterfly!
- To enter, visit the Brandi Carlile website and comment on your favorite track from Give Up the Ghost or any other track from her previous albums (excluding anything mentioned in this post).
- You’ll get one extra entry each if you do any of the following (be sure to leave a comment for each “entry”):
1)Blog about this giveaway and link back to Sage and Savvy and Brandi Carlile
2)Subscribe to my feed
3)Add my button to your sidebar
4)Follow me on Twitter (leave your Twitter name in your comment)
- The deadline for entries is October 30, 2009, 11:59pm HST.
- If you submitted an eligible entry and it is chosen by random.org as the winner, you will be notified via email on October 31, 2009 (make sure your email address is in your profile or comment) and will have 3 days to accept.
- Valid for US addresses only.
- By entering in this giveaway, you have read and agreed to Sage and Savvy’s policies regarding giveaways.
Thank you to One2One Network and Sony for the review and giveaway products.
Gem is a Hawaii Mom Blogger who posts reviews and giveaways, and blogs about life in Hawaii as a mom of 3 boys, including one with an Autism Spectrum Disorder. She loves to travel, bake, and eat anything with chocolate.