I recently had a chance to listen to Sheryl Crow's new album, 100 Miles from Memphis.
For Sheryl Crow, the title of her seventh album isn’t just a location; it’s a state of mind. “I grew up in a small town 100 miles from Memphis, and that informed not only my musical taste, but how I look at life,” she says. “The drive to Memphis is all farmland, and everyone is community-oriented, God-fearing people, connected to the earth. The music that came out of that part of the world is a part of who I am, and it’s the biggest inspiration for what I do and why I do it.”
For Sheryl Crow, 100 Miles From Memphis is the right album at the right moment. “My last record (2008’s Detours) was pretty political, extremely personal, and more lyric-driven,” she says, “so it seemed like a great time to do something soulful and sexy and more driven by the music.” It took a lot of years, but with this set of songs, she finally made it back home.
100 Miles from Memphis is influenced by pop, country, blues, jazz, and has some really great original songs as well as renditions of classic favorites.
My favorite track is Summer Day. It has such an easy-going, feel-good vibe, and it's a song that I can totally see myself constantly listening to while relaxing on a nice summer day.
Long Road Home is another nice song--it has a nice rhythm and a laid back, catchy groove, and Say What You Want is another song I really enjoyed—Crow seems to show her sass in the song, and the chorus just gets stuck in my head.
Her renditions of Terence Trent D'Arby's Sign Your Name (featuring Justin Timberlake on background vocals) and Michael Jackson's I Want You Back are really, really good. I especially liked I Want You Back—she really did an awesome job with the song!
100 Miles from Memphis showcases Crow's versatile talent—evident in both her vocals and songwriting, and I personally think it features some of Crow's best work.
Shop: You can purchase Sheryl Crow: 100 Miles from Memphis from various retailers online and nationwide (ARV $11.98).
Win: One lucky winner will receive a copy of 100 Miles from Memphis!
***THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED***
Congratulations to FDP 4 Life!
- To enter, comment on why you'd like to win!
- You’ll get one extra entry each if you do any of the following (be sure to leave a comment for each “entry”):
- 1)Blog about this giveaway and link back to Sage and Savvy and Sheryl Crow: 100 Miles from Memphis (leave the link in your comment)
- 2)Subscribe to my feed
- 3)Add my button to your sidebar
- 4)Follow me on Twitter (leave your Twitter name in your comment)
- 5)Tweet this giveaway (leave the link in your comment)
- The deadline for entries is July 27, 2010, 11:59pm HST.
- If you submitted an eligible entry and it is chosen by random.org as the winner, you will be notified via email on or about July 28, 2010 (make sure your email address is in your profile or comment and be sure to check your junk/spam, etc. folders) and will have 3 days to accept.
- Valid for US addresses only.
- By entering in this giveaway, you have read and agreed to Sage and Savvy’s policies regarding giveaways.
Gem is a Hawaii Mom Blogger who posts reviews and giveaways, and blogs about life in Hawaii as a mom of 3 boys, including one with an Autism Spectrum Disorder. She loves to travel, bake, and eat anything with chocolate.