· Carefully inspect backyard playground equipment. Make sure equipment is anchored safely in the ground, all equipment pieces are in good working order, S-hooks are entirely closed and bolts are not protruding.
· Check for spaces that could trap children, such as openings in guardrails or between ladder rungs. These spaces should measure less than 3.5 inches or more than 9 inches.
· Always supervise children on play set equipment to make sure they are playing safely.
· Watch for potential trip hazards, such as rocks, tree stumps and concrete footings. Make sure you’re children are aware of them as well.
· Keep grates and drain covers in good repair and secured in place. Alert your family and guests to stay away from these devices, as the suction from drain outlets can be strong enough to cause entrapment of hair or body parts, which can potentially cause a person to drown.
· Make sure you know infant and child CPR if you own a pool.
· Remove all toys when you leave the pool. Toys may attract children to the unattended pool.
Underwriters Laboratories also teamed up with Disney to create some great videos, including the Wild About Safety: In the Water video featuring Timon and Pumbaa, stressing the importance of water safety.
It's important to do what we can to keep our kids safe not only during summer, but all-year round, and thanks to Underwriters Laboratories and Disney, I have some great tips that I can put into practice and share with my friends!
Win: Four lucky winners will each receive a copy of the DVD Wild About Safety with Timon & Pumbaa: Safety Smart in the Water! Synopsis: Timon and Pumbaa help students learn that fun in the water starts with safety. Once again armed with their Safety Smart® Checklist, Timon and Pumbaa head out for a day at their favorite watering hole. There, they identify valuable water safety lessons like checking for a lifeguard, reading all posted safety signs and looking before leaping in.
***THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED***
Congratulations to Janice, Jennifer, Chanelle, Mozi Esme!
- To enter, comment on a summer safety tip.
- You’ll get one extra entry each if you do any of the following (be sure to leave a comment for each “entry”):
1)Blog about this giveaway and link back to Sage and Savvy and Wild About Safety (leave the link in your comment)
2)Subscribe to my feed
3)Add my button to your sidebar
4)Follow me on Twitter (leave your Twitter name in your comment)
5)Tweet this giveaway (leave the link in your comment)
- The deadline for entries is , August 7, 2010 11:59pm HST.
- If you submitted an eligible entry and it is chosen by random.org as the winner, you will be notified via email on or about August 8, 2010 (make sure your email address is in your profile or comment and be sure to check your junk/spam, etc. folders) and will have 3 days to accept.
- Valid for US addresses only.
- By entering in this giveaway, you have read and agreed to Sage and Savvy’s policies regarding giveaways.