With the launch of Windex® Mini, a concentrated refill pouch that uses 90 percent less plastic packaging than a traditional 26 fluid ounce trigger bottle, global environmental leader SC Johnson is taking another bold step to help consumers make greener choices.Concentrates use less packaging, decrease shipping impacts and reduce waste that ends up in our nation’s landfills. Yet sales data shows U.S. consumers prefer not to refill their household cleaning bottles. This means stores won't stock concentrates and companies hesitate to create them. With this test, SC Johnson wants to understand how to motivate consumers and retailers to consider trading up from traditional cleaning methods to a greener choice.
“By conservative estimates, a flexible pouch saves six times as much plastic waste that goes into a landfill compared to a traditional bottle,” said Fisk Johnson, Chairman and CEO of SC Johnson. “Refilling with a concentrate is an example of a very small behavior change that could make a real difference in minimizing waste. But many people don't want the inconvenience. We want to crack the code and figure out what it would take to make concentrated refills an accepted – even demanded – choice.”
Windex® Mini concentrated refill pouch delivers the streak-free results consumers expect from the 75-year heritage of the Windex® brand. In just three easy steps – cut, pour, add water – consumers can refill a clean, single 26 fluid ounce Windex® bottle with cleaner. To get the revolution rolling, the product is being sold directly by SC Johnson at www.scjgreenerchoices.com in three-packs of “snip ‘n’ pour” pouches.
Small Change, Big DifferenceThe trigger bottle for Windex® Original glass cleaner is already produced with 50 percent post consumer recycled content. Choosing to refill with one Windex® Mini concentrated refill pouch has an immediate positive impact:
- Requires 90 percent less plastic packaging than a 26 fluid ounce trigger bottle - enough to make 6.5 ballpoint pens
- Avoids transporting 22.4 fluid ounces of water - nearly 1.5 pounds by weight
- Save 350,000 pounds of plastic - that's 26 million ballpoint pens
- Avoid using 175,000 pounds of virgin plastic - that's 3 million soda bottles
- Avoid transporting 735,000 gallons of water - that's more than 6 million pounds by weight
Win: One lucky winner will receive Windex Mini!
***THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED***
Congratulations to Hannah!
- To enter, comment on a fact noted above that intrigues you the most about Windex Mini.
- You’ll get one extra entry each if you do any of the following (be sure to leave a comment for each “entry”):
1)Blog about this giveaway and link back to Sage and Savvy and Windex Mini (leave the link in your comment)
2)Subscribe to my feed
3)Add my button to your sidebar
4)Follow me on Twitter (leave your Twitter name in your comment)
5)Tweet this giveaway--you may tweet once per day based on HST (leave the link in your comment)
- The deadline for entries is August 14, 2011, 11:59pm HST.
- If you submitted an eligible entry and it is chosen by random.org as the winner, you will be notified via email on or about August 15, 2011 (make sure your email address is in your profile or comment and be sure to check your junk/spam, etc. folders) and will have 3 days to respond.
- Valid for US addresses only.
- By entering in this giveaway, you have read and agreed to Sage and Savvy’s policies regarding giveaways.
Thank you to the sponsor for providing the product for review and/or giveaway free of charge. All opinions are my own. I received no monetary compensation for this post. Click here for my disclosure policy.