Author Jessie Knadler was a New York City girl, through and through. An editor for a splashy women’s magazine, she splurged on Miu Miu, partied hard, and dated a man-boy whose complexion was creamier than her own. Circling the drain both professionally and personally, Jessie definitely wouldn’t have described herself as “happy;” more like caustically content. Until one day she was assigned a story about an annual rodeo in the badlands of Eastern Montana, and her life would never be the same. On that fateful assignment in Montana, Knadler meets a bullrider named Jake. He voted Republican and read Commercial Truck Trader. He listened to Garth Brooks, and he owns guns. And Jessie suddenly found herself blindsided by something with which she was painfully unfamiliar: a genuinely lovable disposition. In fact, Jake radiated such optimism and old-school gentlemanliness that Jessie is completely swept off her feet, ditching Manhattan for an authentic experience with an authentic man, moving to a chicken farm in Virginia.
Inspired by Knadler’s blog of the same name, RURALLY SCREWED tackles both the day-to-day issues in Knadler’s life and the larger ones, including raising their daughter while Jake serves his country in Afghanistan (Jake returned last week).
Knadler is a writer whose articles have appeared in publications ranging from the Wall Street Journal to Glamour. She is the co-author of the preserving cookbook Tart and Sweet. Her blog, RurallyScrewed.com, has been featured in Newsweek, French Elle and Jezebel.com. She lives with her husband, daughter, and a bunch of chickens in Lexington, Virginia. Visit her website at www.jessieknadler.com, and blog at www.rurallyscrewed.com.
Shop: You can purchase Rurally Screwed at various retailers online and nationwide (SRP $24.95).
Win: One lucky winner will receive a copy of Rurally Screwed!
***THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED***
Congratulations to slb3334!
- To enter, comment on why you'd like to win.
- You’ll get one extra entry each if you do any of the following (be sure to leave a comment for each “entry”):
- 1)Blog about this giveaway and link back to Sage and Savvy and RURALLY SCREWED (leave the link in your comment)
- 2)Subscribe to my feed
- 3)Add my button to your sidebar
- 4)Follow me on Twitter (leave your Twitter name in your comment)
- 5)Tweet this giveaway--you may tweet once per day based on HST (leave the link in your comment)
- The deadline for entries is May 10, 2012 11:59pm HST.
- If you submitted an eligible entry and it is chosen by random.org as the winner, you will be notified via email on or about May 11, 2012 (make sure your email address is in your profile or comment and be sure to check your junk/spam, etc. folders) and will have 3 days to respond.
- Valid for US addresses only.
- By entering in this giveaway, you have read and agreed to Sage and Savvy’s policies regarding giveaways.
Thank you to the sponsor for providing the product for review and/or giveaway free of charge. All opinions are my own. I received no monetary compensation for this post. Click here for my disclosure policy.
Gem is a Hawaii Mom Blogger who posts reviews and giveaways, and blogs about life in Hawaii as a mom of 3 boys, including one with an Autism Spectrum Disorder. She loves to travel, bake, and eat anything with chocolate.