A new book offering dares readers “to be aware” this summer traveling season, and reveals shocking stories of unfortunate accidents and murderous outcomes experienced by the unsuspecting general traveling public such as:
- The 8-year old boy sucked into an unprotected pool drain at a major resort, leaving his mother crying out his name as security staff held her at gunpoint
- The 22-year old denied proper medical care after being pulled unconscious from a Cancun resort pool, only to have his dead body left in plain view for hours and his parents billed for his room
- And, the over 170 people who have disappeared from cruise ships around the world since 1995, several under very suspicious circumstances
It is not a book to scare anyone from traveling, only meant as a "buyer beware” because “people on vacation tend to engage in riskier activities than they are normally used to."
Nemcoff’s Top Ten Safe Travel Tips to Avoid a Fatal Sunset:
Tip 1: Never assume you have the same rights, protections and access to emergency services in other countries as you do in your own
Tip 2: Don't assume that video cameras are there to protect you - They are only there to protect the interests of the property owners who may have a different agenda when it comes to revealing what those cameras have seen
Tip 3: Be suspicious of anyone who takes too much interest in you or your family - If someone you really don't know invites you to join them in an excursion somewhere, don't be afraid to turn them down. There are worse things than offending someone who you will probably never see again
Tip 4: Being on vacation doesn't turn you into Superman - Don't try doing anything that may be more physically involved than something you would do at home
Tip 5: Always listen and be kind to your flight attendant - He or she has much more experience than you in dealing with onboard emergencies and situations. Their help could save your life! Check out the flight attendants at www.AirlineAmbassadors.com. They have busted human traffickers on at least three commercial flights coming into the USA.
Tip 6: Take the time to check out any attractions your children may use before you leave them unsupervised
Tip 7: Always let someone know where you're going and how long you'll be gone. If you're on a trip, make sure someone in your party knows when you'll be back and check in with them if those plans change
Tip 8: Just because there isn't a warning sign, doesn't mean there isn't danger - Use your common sense and/or double check your plans with someone who knows the lay of the land
Tip 9: Do your research - Any reputable company offering trips, excursions, tours will have a digital footprint on the Internet. Use Google to search for reviews before you use them
Tip 10: If going out of the country, check for government issued travel advisories for your destination. If the state department says someplace is unsafe, take heed
Shop: You can purchase Fatal Sunset: Deadly Vacations on Amazon.com (SRP $2.99 Kindle Edition; $7.99 Paperback Edition)
Win: Two lucky winners will receive a copy of Fatal Sunset: Deadly Vacations in the Kindle format (you do not need a Kindle - you can download a Kindle app for your Smartphone, Tablet, Computer, etc. Click here for more info.)
- To enter, comment on ways you try to stay safe while on vacation.
- You’ll get one extra entry each if you do any of the following (be sure to leave a comment for each “entry”):
- 1)Blog about this giveaway and link back to Sage and Savvy and Fatal Sunset: Deadly Vacations (leave the link in your comment)
- 2)Subscribe to my feed
- 3)Add my button to your sidebar
- 4)Follow me on Twitter (leave your Twitter name in your comment)
- 5)Tweet this giveaway--you may tweet once per day based on HST (leave the link in your comment)
- The deadline for entries is May 17, 2012 11:59pm HST.
- If you submitted an eligible entry and it is chosen by random.org as the winner, you will be notified via email on or about May 18, 2012 (make sure your email address is in your profile or comment and be sure to check your junk/spam, etc. folders) and will have 3 days to respond.
- Valid for US addresses only.
- By entering in this giveaway, you have read and agreed to Sage and Savvy’s policies regarding giveaways.
Thank you to the sponsor for providing the product for review and/or giveaway free of charge. All opinions are my own. I received no monetary compensation for this post. Click here for my disclosure policy.
Gem is a Hawaii Mom Blogger who posts reviews and giveaways, and blogs about life in Hawaii as a mom of 3 boys, including one with an Autism Spectrum Disorder. She loves to travel, bake, and eat anything with chocolate.