Writer Jennifer Grant’s girlhood dream of being the perfect mom, with perfect kids in a perfect home, withered quickly in the face of reality. MOMumental is her account of the messy, creative, sometimes hilarious and often taxing, process of raising a family. It’s full of humorous and poignant stories from her everyday life—a life that mothers everywhere can identify with.
Grant, now the mom of four children, ages 15, 13, 12, and 10, has embraced a more realistic view of parenting. She calls it “Velveteen parenting” after The Velveteen Rabbit. Some of her guidelines include:
- Choose your battles.
- Keep your eyes open and look with a critical—and often delighted—eye at what the culture is dishing up to your children. Teach your children to do the same.
- Remind yourself that children are not little adults, but are uniquely suited to grow, learn, and enjoy life in ways that many of us adults don’t remember how to do anymore.
- Ask questions such as, “What do I want our family to be like? What are our individual gifts and perspectives? What connects us as a family and brings us joy?”
- Develop certain priorities in your family’s life, such as treating each other with respect, eating together whenever possible, and attending church together.
Grant doesn’t advocate becoming Tiger Mom, BFF Mom, Helicopter Mom, or Earth Mama. Rather, she offers a funny, warm, and compassionate book filled with uncommon insights about being an intentional parent.
Shop: You can purchase MOMumental at various retailers online and nationwide (SRP $14.99).
Win: Four lucky winners will each receive a copy of MOMumental!
***THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED***
Congratulations to susan1215, Timshaun, Miranda Ward, lilyk!
- To enter, comment on what kind of advice you'd give to a new parent.
- You’ll get one extra entry each if you do any of the following (be sure to leave a comment for each “entry”):
- 1)Blog about this giveaway and link back to Sage and Savvy and MOMumental (leave the link in your comment)
- 2)Subscribe to my feed
- 3)Add my button to your sidebar
- 4)Follow me on Twitter (leave your Twitter name in your comment)
- 5)Tweet this giveaway--you may tweet once per day based on HST (leave the link in your comment)
- The deadline for entries is May 25, 2012 11:59pm HST.
- If you submitted an eligible entry and it is chosen by random.org as the winner, you will be notified via email on or about May 26, 2012 (make sure your email address is in your profile or comment and be sure to check your junk/spam, etc. folders) and will have 3 days to respond.
- Valid for US addresses only.
- By entering in this giveaway, you have read and agreed to Sage and Savvy’s policies regarding giveaways.
Thank you to the sponsor for providing the product for review and/or giveaway free of charge. All opinions are my own. I received no monetary compensation for this post. Click here for my disclosure policy.
Gem is a Hawaii Mom Blogger who posts reviews and giveaways, and blogs about life in Hawaii as a mom of 3 boys, including one with an Autism Spectrum Disorder. She loves to travel, bake, and eat anything with chocolate.