Give Yourself a High Five: Winner of a 2012 Parents’ Choice Gold Award:
Drawing on their work with children in local Head Start classrooms, professional Nashville musicians collaborated on “Give Yourself a High Five,” a unique album inspired by the curiosity and imagination of youngsters.
Released in 2011 by the education program of the Tennessee Performing Arts Center, and recently named a winner of the Parents’ Choice Gold Award, the CD features 29 tracks of small-sized songs, percussion dance breaks, and poems for pre-school play and learning.
The artists’ varied influences and styles—folk, rhythm and blues, gospel, rap, country, jazz and more—create a rare sound and feel for an uncommon collection which is high on adult appeal and introduces children to a variety of American and international music traditions. At the same time, “Give Yourself a High Five” gently teaches practical lessons about number-counting, teeth-brushing, hand-raising, and more, while encouraging creativity, confidence, curiosity, critical thinking and other traits essential to future success and happiness.
The tracks range from one to three minutes long, with easy-to-learn lyrics and endless potential for quiet times, creative movement, and organized interaction with others. Dance breaks encourage movement with sounds of classical violin and Latin American percussion. “A Walk in the Rain Forest,” filled with the sound of falling water and singing birds, gives children a soundscape in which to spur imagination. Familiar nursery rhymes and fairy tales are reinvented to the beats of blues, jazz, rap and rock. “The New Itsy Bitsy Spider,” for example, is pure soul. “Raise Your Hand” is performed like an old-time Western Swing song. “Walk Daniel” is a short, traditional spiritual packed with action and inspiration.
Clever color codes categorize the tracks as participatory, story songs, dance breaks, lesson songs, or imagination journeys.
“The children and teachers have fallen in love with this CD. ‘Give Yourself a High Five’ is one of the most cherished CDs I have,” said one Head Start educator, with other positive reviews ranging from “The CD has so many styles of music that every child will have a favorite one” to “We loved all the different genres of music and different adventures each song took us on!“
Shop: You can purchase Give Yourself a High Five on iTunes (SRP $9.99) or CD Baby (SRP $15.00).
Win: One lucky winner will receive a Give Yourself a High Five Prize Pack which includes the copy of the CD and Give Yourself a High Five activities.
***THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED***
Congratulations to susan!
- To enter, listen to the sample Give Yourself a High Five tracks on CD Baby and comment on your favorite track.
- You’ll get one extra entry each if you do any of the following (be sure to leave a comment for each “entry”):
- 1)Blog about this giveaway and link back to Sage and Savvy and Give Yourself a High Five (leave the link in your comment)
- 2)Subscribe to my feed
- 3)Add my button to your sidebar
- 4)Follow me on Twitter ("new" and "existing" followers eligible; leave your Twitter name in your comment)
- 5)Tweet this giveaway--you may tweet once per day based on HST (leave the link in your comment)
- 6)Follow Give Yourself a High Five on Twitter ("new" and "existing" followers eligible; leave your Twitter name in your comment)
- The deadline for entries is November 5, 2012 11:59pm HST.
- If you submitted an eligible entry and it is chosen by random.org as the winner, you will be notified via email on or about November 6, 2012 (make sure your email address is in your profile or comment and be sure to check your junk/spam, etc. folders) and will have 3 days to respond.
- Valid for US addresses only.
- By entering in this giveaway, you have read and agreed to Sage and Savvy’s policies regarding giveaways.
Thank you to the sponsor for providing the product for review and/or giveaway free of charge. All opinions are my own. I received no monetary compensation for this post. Click here for my disclosure policy.
Sage and Savvy is brought to you by Hawaii Mom Bloggers sharing the latest in products, movies, and more!