MADELEINE PEYROUX'S THE BLUE ROOM (pre-order here):
Madeleine and longtime collaborator / legendary producer Larry Klein (Joni Mitchell, Herbie Hancock), re-examine Ray Charles’ classic, and one of his most controversial albums, Modern Sounds In Country And Western Music.
But instead of replicating the album, Madeleine and Larry represented the artistic freedom Ray exhibited, using imagination to break down musical categories and barriers.
What Madeleine and Larry created is a sophisticated album rich in strings, pushing the power of Madeleine’s vocal capabilities – her melody changes, choices of tone and phrasing. The Blue Room explores new ground, showing that like jazz itself, Madeleine is willing to take new chances – reinterpreting songs with an emotion and depth that can’t help but touch the soul.
“I didn’t want to just do a straight forward covers album,” says Madeleine. “When Larry first brought this project to me, I was so moved by what I heard that it truly inspired me to both reinterpret these songs while also merging them with others that I thought fit perfectly.”
“Ray’s ‘cultural landmark’ album has always been a part of me,” says Klein. “Madeleine naturally came to mind with this project. Much like Charles who in 1962 jelled R & B, Gospel, Country and Jazz, Madeleine is at a nexus of styles. She comes from the same places, blending Jazz, Blues, Country and Pop.”
Wisely, Madeleine felt that the infusion of newer but like-minded material was essential to this project. Gems like Randy Newman's “Guilty,” Warren Zevon's “Desperadoes Under The Eaves” and John Hartford’s “Gentle On My Mind,” prove Madeleine to be an uncannily insightful ‘interpreter’ with her impeccable choice of material.
On March 20th, Madeleine will kick off a world tour that includes two nights at Lincoln Center in New York City. Tour dates below (many more to come!)
March 20 - Tarrytown Music Hall - Tarrytown, NY
March 22 - Jazz at Lincoln Center, The Allen Room - New York, NY
March 23 - Jazz at Lincoln Center, The Allen Room - New York, NY
March 24 - The Birchmere Music Hall - Alexandria, VA
April 2 - Dakota Jazz Club - Minneapolis, MN
April 4 - Northern Lights Theater (Potawatomi Casino) - Milwaukee, WI
April 3 - Dakota Jazz Club - Minneapolis, MN
April 5 - Old Town - Chicago, IL
May 31 - Enwave Theatre & Harbourfront Center - Toronto, ON
June 1 - Enwave Theatre & Harbourfront Center - Toronto, ON
Win: One lucky winner will receive a copy of The Blue Room CD!
***THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED***
Congratulations to Gianna!
- To enter, check out the Changing All Those Changes video above, and comment on what you think about the song, the video, Peyroux's voice, etc.
- You’ll get one extra entry each if you do any of the following (be sure to leave a comment for each “entry”):
- 1)Blog about this giveaway and link back to Sage and Savvy and MADELEINE PEYROUX (leave the link in your comment)
- 2)Subscribe to my feed
- 3)Add my button to your sidebar
- 4)Follow me on Twitter ("new" and "existing" followers eligible; leave your Twitter name in your comment)
- 5)Tweet this giveaway--you may tweet once per day based on HST (leave the link in your comment)
- 6)Follow Madeleine Peyroux on Twitter ("new" and "existing" followers eligible; leave your Twitter name in your comment)
- The deadline for entries is February 25, 2013 11:59pm HST.
- If you submitted an eligible entry and it is chosen by random.org as the winner, you will be notified via email on or about February 26, 2013 (make sure your email address is in your profile or comment and be sure to check your junk/spam, etc. folders) and will have 3 days to respond.
- Valid for US/Canada addresses only.
- By entering in this giveaway, you have read and agreed to Sage and Savvy’s policies regarding giveaways.
Thank you to the sponsor for providing the product for review and/or giveaway free of charge. All opinions are my own. I received no monetary compensation for this post. Click here for my disclosure policy.
Gem is a Hawaii Mom Blogger who posts reviews and giveaways, and blogs about life in Hawaii as a mom of 3 boys, including one with an Autism Spectrum Disorder. She loves to travel, bake, and eat anything with chocolate.