Slimming World's Fast and Filling Family Food Cookbook features 50 recipes so you can make soups, burgers, main entrees, desserts, and more for the entire family!
Corn and Red Bell Pepper Chowder
Corn and bell pepper are both bursting with fresh flavors and this simple chowder is as easy to make as it is delicious. Serve it up as a tasty appetizer or when you want a light supper.
Ready in 35-40 minutes
6-8 scallions, finely sliced, plus extra shredded scallions to serve
1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
3 cups (800ml) water or vegetable stock and 1 tbsp concentrated vegetable stock
2 x 14oz (400g) cans corn
1 red bell pepper, deseeded and finely diced
¼ cup chopped cilantro
1 tbsp soy sauce
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place a large, nonstick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the scallions, garlic, vegetable stock, and concentrated stock and bring to a boil.
Add the corn, bell pepper, cilantro, and soy sauce and return to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and cook for 10-15 minutes.
Remove from the heat, season well and ladle into warmed bowls to serve. Garnish with shredded scallions before serving.
Ready in 40 minutes
4 large baking potatoes peeled and cut into ½ inch fries
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Low calorie cooking spray
1 3/4lb extra lean ground beef
4 oz very finely chopped onion
4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
4 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
4 whole-wheat buns
4 lettuce leaves and 4 slices of tomato
Grated carrot and shredded red cabbage, to serve
For the salsa:
3 ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
½ small onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 tsp artificial sweetener
4 tbsp water
1-2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1-2 drops Tabasco sauce
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees.
- Place the fries in a pan of lightly salted boiling water for 3-4 minutes. Remove from the water and drain well on paper towels, then leave to dry for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the water from the pan and return the fries to the dry pan, cover with a lid, and shake to roughen up the edges of the fries (this helps them to crisp up when you bake them). Transfer to a nonstick roasting pan, spray with low-calorie cooking spray, and bake for 20-25 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile place all of the salsa ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook gently for 4-5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- To make the hamburgers, place the ground beef, onions, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic in a bowl and, using your hands, combine thoroughly. Season well, divide into four, and shape into patties. Spray the burgers with low-calorie cooking spray, place under a hot broiler, and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side, or until done to your liking. Remove and keep warm.
- To assemble the hamburgers, split the buns in half and place a lettuce leaf and a tomato slice on top of each base. Top with a burger and some of the salsa and serve immediately with the fries and some grated carrot and shredded red cabbage.
- To enter, comment on why you'd like to win.
- You’ll get one extra entry each if you do any of the following (be sure to leave a comment for each “entry”):
- 1)Follow me on Bloglovin ("new" and "existing" followers eligible)
- 2)Subscribe to my feed via RSS or email ("new" and "existing" subscribers eligible)
- 3)Follow me on Instagram ("new" and "existing" followers eligible; leave your user name in your comment)
- 4)Follow me on Twitter ("new" and "existing" followers eligible; leave your Twitter name in your comment)
- 5)Tweet this giveaway--you may tweet once per day based on HST (leave the link in your comment)
- The deadline for entries is May 7, 2014 11:59pm HST.
- NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Open to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and District of Columbia, eighteen (18) years of age or older. Void where prohibited by law. The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning.
- If you submitted an eligible entry and it is chosen by random.org as the winner, you will be notified via email on or about May 8, 2014 (make sure your email address is in your profile or comment and be sure to check your junk/spam, etc. folders) and will have 3 days to respond.
- Valid for US addresses only.
Thank you to the sponsor for providing the product for giveaway free of charge, along with the images and recipes. Click here for my disclosure policy.