Designated as a "Historic Hotel of America,” The Wigwam is an iconic Arizona landmark and AAA Four-Diamond resort located in the affluent community of Litchfield Park, just 15 miles west of downtown Phoenix. In operation for more than 80 years, the property is rich in history. The Wigwam’s beginnings date back to 1918 when the resort was first built as a quaint gathering place for the Ohio-based executives of Goodyear Tire & Rubber who discovered the West Valley of Phoenix as a prime location to grow cotton for rubber production.
Today, The Wigwam spans over 440 acres on an estate-like setting and features 331 casita-style guest rooms, including 72 suites, crafted from distinctive adobe architecture. The resort offers 54 holes of championship golf, the 26,000-square-foot Red Door Spa, four pools with two twisting water slides, and seven restaurants and bars. The Wigwam invites guests to create new traditions and lasting memories by participating in a variety of activities from morning nature walks to cooking classes, wine tasting events, ice skating and more.
The Wigwam recently put the finishing touches on a $16 million, multi-phase renovation that maintains its character, rich in Arizona history, while getting an updated look. The resort’s new interior design scheme features comfortable, contemporary Southwest charm based on a warm desert color palette and motifs. As the site of the original property, the spacious new lobby pays homage to the resort’s storied past with historic photography, original hardwood floors and Arizona artifacts. The new pool complex features both adult and family areas, while the new restaurants and bars offer al fresco dining and entertaining areas. Groups and meetings have a variety of new social areas and event lawns to choose from. The updated guestrooms feature custom-made furnishings with rich cherry wood tones, an elegant console with a state-of-the-art LCD television, and renovated bathrooms with all new granite top vanities, luxurious glass-enclosed showers, new fixtures, and decorative amenities.
CULINARY WINEMAKER DINNERS
Sip and savor at The Wigwam during the intimate “Winemaker Dinner Series” featuring an exclusive four-course dinner presented by Executive Chef Rich Hinojosa, a certified second level sommelier. Each dinner begins with a reception at 6:30 p.m. followed by a special menu Chef creates to expertly pair and complement each wine served. Guests have the opportunity to interact with Chef Hinojosa and a winery representative throughout the evening and gain insight on the art of pairing food and wine. The cost of the event is $69-$99 as it varies per winery. Reservations are required and can be made by calling 623-935-3811. Wine down with room rates starting at $99-$199 per night depending on the season with promo code WINEDINNER (subject to availability, blackout dates apply).
Upcoming wine dinners include:
- Sept. 19, 2014 – Trefethen Family Vineyards
- Oct. 17 & 18, 2014 – ZD Winery
- Nov. 21 & 22, 2014 – Newton Vineyards
- Dec. 19 & 20, 2014 – Chandon Champagne
- Jan. 16 & 17, 2015 – Silver Oak and Twomey Cellars
- Feb. 20 & 21, 2015 – Nickel & Nickel and Enroute Wineries
- March 20 & 21, 2015 – Caymus Vineyards
- April 17 & 18, 2015 – Heitz Cellar
NEWLY REVAMPED F&B PROGRAM
Paying tribute to the roots of the farming community of Litchfield Park where The Wigwam is located, Executive Chef Rich Hinojosa planted his own onsite garden and works with nearby growers and purveyors to provide locally sourced farm-to-table fare. Phoenix area farms, dairies, mills, and artisans include Hayden Mills, Fossil Creek Creamery, Crow’s Dairy, Hickman Family Farms, Cedar River Farms, Gina’s Homemade, JH Grass Fed, Queen Creek Olive Mill, Stern Produce, Litchfield’s Garden, and the resort’s own garden. As part of The Wigwam’s $16 million property-wide renovation, major efforts were focused on the reconceptualization of the food and beverage program.
Updated offerings include:
- Litchfield’s made its debut in early 2011 as the resort’s signature restaurant and is named after Paul W. Litchfield, then Goodyear Tire & Rubber Executive and founder of Litchfield Park. The restaurant pays tribute to the local farming community with a menu crafted from farm-to-table cuisine featuring locally sourced produce. Guests have the option to choose their setting – intimate tables, al fresco dining at a cozy corner table on the patio or interactive counter seating in the bar – and settle in with favorites such as Mesquite Glazed Arizona Chicken and House Made Queso Blanco Tamale. The restaurant was honored with the 2014 Award of Excellence from Wine Spectator magazine.
- Red’s Bar & Grill is named for Wigwam Golf Club’s beloved former golf professional of 42 years, Red Allen. Appropriately, this restaurant overlooks the arched palms and rolling greens of the historic Gold and Patriot Courses and offers timeless comfort foods such as soups, sandwiches, and burgers.
- The Wigwam Bar serves grab-and-go breakfast, small plates for lunch and dinner, and features a full indoor/outdoor bar overlooking two new, custom built regulation masonry Bocce Courts as well as volleyball, ping pong, and cornhole.
- Tower Bar & Grill offers light lunch and refreshing drinks poolside at the Lodge Pool.
- In-room dining is available is available 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and 6:00 a.m. to midnight on Friday and Saturday.
Families have been creating memories at The Wigwam for decades and the fun continues with interactive family friendly activities for kids of all ages. Children enjoy barreling down dual 25-foot water slides and have a splashing good time with seasonal water activities like underwater treasure hunts, frozen duck races, Pirate & Princess PJ Party, “winter fun” in the summer with ice cube floating races to keep cool and much more. Adults can unwind with live entertainment, happy hour, golf, spa and a variety of dining options. Families enjoy testing their skills with games of cornhole, Bocce, ping pong and volleyball. Holidays bring an outdoor synthetic ice skating rink, tree lighting, breakfast with Santa, Christmas carolers, stories with Elf on the Shelf and other festive activities to celebrate the season.
For more information, visit The Wigwam.